Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"How much do you want for those nuts??????"




Whether I'm walking down the Midway at the Texas Fair, or in the local Bass Pro Shop, or even at the Annie's Pretzel store in the mall, I get a whiff of that ever so tantalizing smell of candied, roasted nuts. The amazing smells of cinnamon and caramelizing sugar is enough to turn this non-eater-of-nut-girl immediately fall in lust over them! I always go over to the stand and watch them slowly turn and coat the pecans and almonds as the fire blazes beneath the black kettle.
My delima: $4.50 for the smallest little cone shaped holder and that isn't even full! My mission was to make the perfect at home candied nuts!
I keep these savory sweet treats on hand and usually in the freezer ready to be served in bowls, martini glasses,or even waffle cones laying on a platter. They are perfect accompaniment to homemade ice cream (see me blog for a recipe), brie cheese, or cupcakes. No matter what your occasion is or for none at all! My lusts are full filled......."CHEERS TO THE NUTS" (candied, that is!)



Maple Candied Nuts

1 Egg White
1tsp Salt
1/3c 100% Pure Maple Syrup
2 TBL Brown Sugar
1/2tsp ginger
1/2tsp cloves
1/2tsp Allspice
1tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp Sweet Paprika
1/4tsp cumin
1/2tsp nutmeg
6c raw nuts Any combo of your favorites! I love Cashews, Pecans, Almonds, and pumpkin seeds!

Preheat oven 350
line 2 baking sheets with foil and butter completely
Beat egg white and salt until foamy
Add sugar and syrup. Mix
Add spices and combine
Add nuts and toss, making sure all are coated
pour in a single layer on sheets and bake 17-20 minutes
Cool completely on racks, and break into pieces. Store them in air tight bags or containers. They freeze wonderfully!


1 comment:

  1. That just brought back memories of my childhood! My mom used to make candied nuts for a special treat and our birthday parties. I love the addition of Maple syrup in this recipe! I can't wait to give these a try and show them off to my mom when she's here next week!

    ReplyDelete

Only for those......