Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dirt Between Your Toes...Isn't it Grand!!!!



Playing in the dirt is therapeutic, and being an adult, doesn't mean we can't enjoy the mud-pie, squishing between the toes fun that all of us enjoyed as a child. So, maybe I label it "gardening" now, but never the less, I still enjoy it. Maybe it's the growing up in what used to be rural America, spring always meant planting, and summer always meant more fruits and vegetables we could possible consume! Sauteed, grilled, fried, raw, and canned......we ate our bounty every way the mind can imagine. For the vegetables, it meant tomato and cucumber salads, freezing battered okra, and shelling the black eyed peas. Fruit trees always brought on a different excitement.
I knew the outcome of the small fragrant blossoms was going to be even better than my slight addiction to the salty fried okra. I remember my mom boiling the jars, pressing the almost over ripe plums and peaches through the sieve, and hearing the little "pop" of the seal as the preserves cooled.
I live in a suburbia neighborhood, of which I thoroughly enjoy, but it does limit the space of my desire for a large garden. I plant what I have room for, and I am blessed enough to live not too far from the acreage where I grew up, so my parents have graciously allowed me to still use a few of the tilled rows of their garden in order for me to ease my itch. Yes, the hot days of picking weeds may be a little backbreaking, early morning watering's can come too early, and the fire ant bites are inevitable, but knowing the outcome far outweighs any part that may be grueling at times.
The first harvest came at a perfect time this year. I made sure to plant all my "normal" veggies: jalapenos, tomatoes, zucchini, herbs, and onions, but this year I branched out and also decided to try my luck with a variety of pepper plants as I have been experimenting with different prestos and also trying different ways to enjoy the abundance of squash that will be healthy yet appeal to my three little mouths. This, my dears, is the fun part: picking ( not knowing what you will get for the day), cooking, testing, re-testing, and enjoying. From my first harvest of many more succulent recipes and trial and errors to come, let the summer veggies do their thing!



Fresh Garden Skillet

2c. Spaghetti Squash, cut in half, sprinkled with seasoned salt, olive oil and roasted in 425 degree oven (skin side up) 30 minutes then scrapped with a fork
2c. assorted garden peppers and onions (bell, Serrano, jalapeno, Anaheim, poblano, red onions, white Spanish onions) sliced thin
4 garlic cloves, minced
2TBS Olive oil
1TBS Fresh oregano, chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes chopped
2 Green onions, sliced
salt/pepper
1/4c Queso Fresco, crumbled

-Heat Oil in Skillet
-Add garlic and cook 3-4 minutes
-Add peppers and onions
-Cook until soft 5-7 minutes
-Add Tomatoes
-Add cooked squash and cook until mixed and tomatoes have broken down a bit (5minutes)
-Season with Salt/pepper
-Off heat, fold in Queso Fresco
***Keep in mind, this is YOUR garden skillet! Use what you have for your peppers/onions. There is never a wrong way to enjoy your harvest!

1 comment:

Only for those......