Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Seduction of an Avocado








"Pura Matnequilla". I had no idea what this meant nor had I ever heard the phrase, but little did I know, that this term would forever change the way I felt about the world of avocados. Over thousands of miles, and years of travel, I have enjoyed the vastness of the culinary world. From savory sauces to decadent desserts, my palette has experienced some of the most fantastic and complex flavors there is to offer, yet none has compared to one of the richest, purest there is. The AVOCADO.
1,769 miles south, lies a land that is rich in tradition, beauty, and the love of everything pure. Simplicity of life and food are the keys to the most tranquil place I have ever witnessed. The water that flows over the land and falls with force over high cliffs, is the purest in the world. Crystal clear pools seem to dot the jungle roadside, and every one we pass by, I long to linger in the serenity it offers.
Each village we come across has a small open air market that is bustling with business. As soon as we settled in to our jungle get away, I went for a walk and discovered the one that would eventually become my daily stop. Although the size of this market was not large, and the uneven posts were topped with a woven roof and open air sides, the abundance of fruits and vegetables picked at their peak, were endless. I did not speak the language, and I had not the first clue what many of these native foods were; there was one thing in common....a passion for taste. With each glance of the produce, I was offered a taste. With pride, they would cut into each one and hand it over. As they watched me sample, they studied my face. With eager anticipation, they awaited my reaction. They wanted me to love each bite, and savor the hard earned labor they had sown. I was mesmerized by the farmer's excitement over each morsel I devoured. I walked over to a few crates that had just been brought by his son's and took a glance. The man ran over to me and insisted I eat one. He called them "Pura Mantequilla" - Pure Butter........Avocados.
Sure, I loved guacamole. I'm from Texas, so naturally I was brought up smearing it on fajitas or mounding it on a chip, but I never would have gleamed with excitement or compared it to my love for butter! He slowly cut it open with his rusty knife, and handed me a thick slice. My hopes were not high, but I wasn't going to let him see the hesitancy in my eyes. As I began to taste the fruit, I realized how distorted my taste had become from over mixing and concocting this lovely and delicate food. My taste buds danced with enjoyment as I savored each bite. He was right! Pure butter is the only words in the English language that could even begin to compare the smoothness of my new found gem. No longer was I going to be masking the identity or buffering the taste, and no longer will my firsts thoughts of them go straight to a tortilla or chip.
Do I still love my Mexican dips? Yes. Do I still crave them being layered with meats and salsa? Of course!
But now, I appreciate the true identity and I try to reach beyond the conservative realm that so many times seems to take precedence. Shift your paradigm. Go beyond the norm and take a chance. You never know, for you too, could become seduced by an avocado!


Southwest Seafood Avocado Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing served in a Grilled Avocado
Garnished with a Roasted Poblano Pesto



***GRILLING the Avocados, keeps the color vibrant and adds to this beautiful presentation!
4 Haas Avocados halved, seed removed and set aside
-Heat grill or grill pan to med-high heat.
-Rub avocado with lime wedge and oil
-Lightly salt
- On oiled grill, place avocados down and grill until marks achieved. (1-2minutes)
-Remove and set aside

Poblano Pesto:
2 lrg poblano peppers, roasted and chopped
1/4c. Toasted pine nuts
1/4c. Packed cilantro
2 cloves garlic
Salt/pepper
Olive oil
-Combine all but oil in a processor. Puree until finely chopped. Add oil to desired consistency. Set aside


Chipotle Lime Dressing:
2 cloves garlic
1 Chipotle pepper canned in Adobo
1½ TBLS Adobo sauce
2 small limes juiced
2tsp Cumin
1TBLS chopped white onion
1/2c. Mayonnaise

-Pulse in a blender until well chopped and combined. Salt/pepper to taste

For the Salad:
1/3c. Finely chopped red onion
3 avocados small diced
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4c. Manchego Cheese, chopped small
12 oz lump crabmeat
1c. Rough chopped shrimp, cooked and cooled

-Combine all ingredients except crab and avocado. Fold until combined. Add dressing by tablespoon-full’s until desired creaminess is achieved. Gently fold in avocado and half of crab. Reserving the rest for tops of individual salads.


To serve:
-place grilled avocado on a plate
-Top with scoop of salad
-Place extra crabmeat on top
-Garnish with pesto on plate and lightly over salad for color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only for those......