Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Going Green!


Everywhere I turn, I hear the phrase "GO GREEN". Seems as though everybody doing it from new grocery bags, separate trash cans, recyclable foil and chip bags, to drop boxes for old electronics, and even the new canvas shoes made from other pre-used materials!
Yes, I'm following the trend! I'm coming out and GOING GREEN! Maybe not in the way you are thinking......
If you know me at all, my passion is to get others out of their square, brown, boring and predictable box. This one is sure to broaden not only your palette, but your concepts, as well.
DIPS:
Why does a dip always seem to fall into 3 basic categories: bean based, sour cream based, or salsa. Let me be very clear here. I adore dips all kinds of spread and dips, but there are times I need to be stretched and my palette needs a change.
Many people shy away from so many flavors or cuisines and continually make the same three or four recipes for every football game, birthday party, or holiday gathering. How do you feel about curry? What are your thoughts about about Indian? Before I loose your interest, and you eyes, let me say that until a couple of years ago, I had never bought curry powder! I liked to eat Indian, but why would I want to learn how to make it or even use the spice associated with it? I bought it, tried it, and now have created new concepts and recipes for all my parties! This recipe brings all the senses in your mouth to a new level and takes you out of the predictable dip rut we all seem to find ourselves in.
Come out of your brown recyclable box, and GO GREEN!


Curried Spit Pea “Hummus”

1LB Green Split Peas
5 cloves of garlic
1 small eggplant
4 toasted red dried chilies
2c. Plain yogurt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 TBL white wine vinegar
1 TBL Madras Curry powder
1/3 -2/3 c. Olive oil
Salt

Preheat oven 450.
Cut eggplant lengthwise rub with 1 TBL Olive Oil. Roast on baking sheet 20-25 minutes. Cool and scrape inside out
Boil peas in 2 qt. pot. Cook peas until tender about 30 minutes. Drain.
Combine all ingredients except oil in a food processor.
Pulse until mixed well.
While motor is running, add oil until creamy.
Serve this yummy spread in a shallow bowl, or plate, topped with Cilantro Ginger Chutney and pita chips and cucumber slices.

Cilantro Ginger Chutney

3 green onions cut into 2-inch lengths
2 small Serrano chilies
1 (1 1/4-inch-long) piece peeled fresh ginger roughly chopped
2 c. Cilantro, packed
2 TBL fresh lime juice
2 TBL water
3 TBL plain whole-milk yogurt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

With small processor running, add green onions, chilies, and ginger through feed tube; process until minced. Add cilantro, lime juice, and water. Process until smooth. Add yogurt, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Keep chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only for those......