Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apple of My Eye




Keeping in theme with this wonderful season of Autumn, I now turn my attention to the apple. There are so many types, textures, flavors, and sizes of this wonderful juicy fruit that it is difficult to keep track of them all. A stroll through the produce section in October takes my mind on a maze of possibilities. However, just as everyone has their favorite brand of comfy jeans, the same goes for the individuals' taste in apples. Pink Lady and Granny Smith are my personal favorites, and of course, one dipped in caramel with a drizzle of chocolate is always welcomed.
Mornings are greeted with Hot Skillet Apples, lunches are kissed with crispy slices, and dinners are graced with the occasional chutney with a succulent pork tenderloin. Oh, and then there is dessert! My thoughts immediately go to a steamy hot apple pie layered with mounds of cinnamon and thinly sliced apples all sandwiched in between two perfectly flaky, buttery crusts. (A la mode, I might add) What about richly coated caramel apples, or a gooey cobbler accompanied by a cup of hot cider on a cold winter night. So many ways to enjoy this amazing and beautiful fruit, and so many ways there are yet to explore.
My new journey meets one of my old favorites: crispy gingersnaps dunked in a glass of ice cold milk. This crispy cookie encompasses all the elements my senses are seduced by this time of year. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger all wrapped up in one small yet power packed pleasure. Why not combine the smells and childhood favorite with the fresh, hand picked produce that is in abundance this time of year? The smells are amazing, the color is rich, and the flavor will sweep your mind and mouth away. Put your milk glasses in the freezer, turn the oven on, and transform your Autumn day into one amazing culinary delight!








Gingered Apple Snaps
¾ c. Butter at room temperature
1c. Brown Sugar, packed
½ c. Grandmas Molasses
1 egg
2 ¼ c. Flour
½ tsp Salt
1tsp ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Allspice
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
¼ c. Crystallized ginger, finely minced
1 small Granny smith apple, finely minced (about 1c.)
½ c. granulated sugar to roll dough balls in

Preheat oven to 350.
With electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and molasses. Add egg and mix just until combined. In small bowl sift flour, salt, and spices. Slowly incorporate dry into wet ingredients careful not to over mix. Fold in ginger and apples. Chill dough 1 hour. Form into 1” balls and roll into sugar to coat. Bake on slightly buttered cookie sheet 10-12 minutes. Cool on pan 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely

4 comments:

  1. OK! You'll have to save me one...it's hard for me to put down that famous red tin from your know where when it comes to ginger. Maybe you can change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aya.pc0623@gmail.com

    http://tobeahealthybeautiful-kenkobijin.blogspot.com

    Hellow!

    I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.

    I have added your site to my site.

    Please link my site to your site.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger snaps plus apples? Who doesn't love that?! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made them for the game tonight. The aroma was very nice. Larkin loves anything with ginger so they were a yummy hit! Mine were chewy after 12 minutes, was wondering if maybe I should add another minute to crisp them a bit?

    ReplyDelete

Only for those......