Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Should Tacos be "FUZZY" or "VELVET"???? Velvet, please!!



Late night Tacos aren't a new concept, but the popularity of them is far reaching beyond the "munchie" crowd. People are drawn to fresh, different, and full flavors that are all done with a bit of an attitude. I had the joy of accompanying Steve Doyle on a Taco Tour of Dallas and was amazed at the quality and flavors that are lurking all around this eatery of a city. They were off the beaten path, small, full of the local culture, and truly a treat to be had on a chilly Saturday. Ever since my tour, I have tried other taco joints to see if I can find the tried and true authentic flavors of that day. I have been successful and have also tasted some failures. My conclusion: when wanting to enjoy the complete authentic experience, one must venture off the beaten path and be prepared to speak 2 languages. One the other hand, I am also intrigued by the new concept of "Gourmet" tacos. I love new flavors and infused cuisines, so when I see those two concepts under one roof, I'm all in.

I visited the Velvet Taco twice. The first time was defiantly an after-midnight stop with lots of laughs, burning mouths, and cake. Fun night, but not so much focused on a review. The next time was lunch. So many mouth-watering choices that it was a difficult decision (not to mention possibly frustrating to the people behind us). Defiantly a winner! For a meatless option you can't go wrong with either the fried paneer cheese or wild mushroom.The wild mushroom taco was smokey, full of flavor, and was perfectly paired with goat cheese. I chose the Ahi Poke in lettuce wrap for a lighter option. Filled to the brim with tuna and perfect slices of watermelon radish. Since the traditional salsa wasn't exactly "Asian", I was missing the back heat that one usually finds in tacos. Maybe some type of wasabi sauce or cream could be offered with the tacos that don't directly go with the Mexican flare. The lettuce wrap was a great option to not overpower the tuna as well as appealing for the carb-conscience devourer. The special for the week was a must order after I read the white board..... Kung Pow Chicken taco. Again, very pleased with the amount of filling, however, the lack of the "slaw" that was on top made my mouth sincerely miss the "crunch" that I was expecting when reading the description. The beef with portobella mushrooms and rotisserie chicken with queso fresco were a hit, and after sampling the flour tortillas, I am sticking with the fresh-made corn from now on. I always give extra points for homemade tortillas as it seems to be a lost art. Don't pass up on the delicious sides that are offered. The corn and potatoes are both visual appealing as well as make your mouth water from the smell alone. For you local beer drinkers, you would be appreciative of the fact that Franconia out of McKinney is on draft. Beer and tacos...almost a perfect combination. I had favorites and I also tried one's that were not for my personal taste, but overall, it's a fun atmosphere, open 24hrs for you late nigh-ers or pregnant women that get that hankering' at 3am, have enough choices which makes it great for a group to appeal to the array of tastes, and my personal favorite...family style seating! Have fun trying out this Henderson Taco joint, and as always, go with a laid back approach, and an open palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only for those......