Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Reviving the Egg


Are eggs really just for breakfast? For a majority, people still pair eggs with bacon, top it on a dainty muffin and glaze it with rich buttery sauces, or boil it to the point the yolk is a shade of green. I am determined to chase people back to the carton and get cracking!
Over the last year, I have revived my love for the rich taste of that simple pleasure of the egg. I was always the kid at the breakfast table that wanted to "poke" my dads runny egg and watch it explode in the plate, but never really wanted one for myself. I ate them because that is what was served, but never out of enjoyment. I did not appreciate the look, texture, or taste of the mount of yellow on my plate until I truly realized what I had been missing.
My wonderful friend had been buying her eggs from a local farmer for years, and gave me a carton to try. I wasn't exactly thrilled about them, but I did want to test these out considering she thought they were fabulous. She was right! The eggs I had been using from the store had no volume or color. The taste was always bland and it took a lot of butter or bacon grease to get them to take on any desire of my palette. These were different! The yolk was perfectly at attention on the pan. No watery, thin substance oozed from the white, and the taste was as though I had churned fresh cream ans slathered it on my plate. These miss-shaped, beautifully colored eggs was just what I had been missing all these years, but didn't even realize it.
My conclusion: try to find a local farmers market or farmer! If a farmer has chickens, many times they will sell the eggs. Just ask!
Poach them on a salad, toss them in pasta, or fry them gently for a great topper on mushroom risotto! My personal favorite is a creamy chicken enchilada with steaming Verde sauce topped with a perfectly white, lightly pan seared egg. I think I'm driven to the kitchen as I'm typing this.....
The possibilities are endless, and your taste buds will thank you!!!

Asparagus and Pancetta Salad Topped with Pecorino
and a Perfectly Poached Egg
Tossed in a Fresh Lemon Basil Dressing




1Lb Asparagus
1/2c.Pecorino, shaved
4oz Pancetta
Salt/Pepper
6 lg eggs

Dressing:
2TB Fresh Lemon Juice
Zest from 1 small lemon
1TB Fresh Basil, chopped
1/4c. Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper

-Bring a large pot o water to rolling boil.
-In another bowl, prepare a ice water bath for asparagus
-Salt boiling water generously
-drop trimmed asparagus in for 3 minutes and immediately transfer to ice bath to shock
-Drain and cut into 1" pieces, set aside
-chop pancetta and fry until crispy. Drain and pat dry then add to blanched asparagus
-Combine all ingredient for dressing in small bowl. Season to taste with salt/pepper
-Toss dressing into salad and mix until coated
-Gently fold in pecorino shavings.
-Serve room temp with the Perfectly Poached Egg
POACHING THE EGGS:
First bring water in a saucepan to almost boiling. If the water is already boiling, lower the heat until it is no longer boiling. At this point, you can add one or two teaspoons of vinegar to the water, if you want. The vinegar will help the egg whites to congeal more easily.
Working with the eggs one by one, crack an egg into a small cup, then place the cup near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water. With a spoon, nudge the egg whites closer to their yolks. This will help the egg whites hold together.Turn off the heat. Cover. Let sit for 4 minutes, until the egg whites are cooked.
4 Lift eggs out of pan with a slotted spoon.
**One trick to make the eggs stay somewhat contained is to take a ring from a mason jar and place it in the pan. Drop the egg over the mason jar ring and let it settle in the ring, then turn off the heat and cover.

1 comment:

Only for those......