Haute Hot Food

Only for the adventurous in eating that want to tantalize their taste-buds and make food dance on their palate.

For I am not afraid of letting the food
overtake my desires, nor am I afraid of letting my desires be my food. Food is my expression, not just my livelihood. Cooking is my art, not out of responsibility, but purely out of passion.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Simple Summers!


I know it's summer, but at times I still log for that southern taste of something warm, crispy, and fried. Not drenched in oil, or smothered in a heavy sauce, but rather light and and crunchy with a smooth inside texture. Oh yes, being from Texas, I always love a little heat as well as that wonderful roasted flavor. The perfect summer meal of that Southern greatness with a slash of summer.....Roasted Corn Fritters with Chile Lemon Sauce served over fresh Arugula.
I must admit, growing up I never liked corn. The taste was void to me. Sweet, yes, but nothing I really wanted to indulge in. Whether on the cob, from a can, frozen, or, creamed the taste never appealed to me. All of this was until I was twenty-something and I discovered the wonderful flavor of roasted and slightly charred corn on the cob rolled in lime butter and covered in Cojita cheese. I can still taste it. Sweet yet tangy yet savory and creamy. This was the way I should have grown up with corn. Where was this wonderful concoction my entire childhood and young adult life??
With that being said, I am always looking for new fun ways to use roasted corn, and especially in the summer when it is picked at its peek! The carmalization of the sugars in the corn brings out another layer of goodness that would never be found in just adding it to a casserole or boiling it in a pot of water. Roasting, for me, is my only way to eat it! I know summer means lighter meals and quicker prep time to make up for the hours spent in the pool and therefore this was my inspiration for comfort in the summer. Not only are these fritters amazing in themselves, I also love to top them with blackened Tiger Shrimp or Jumbo Lump Crab meat. The marriage of the sweet meat, delicate sauce, and roasted corn is almost perfection! No longer will you look at corn in the same way, you will surely be drawn to put it on a hot fire, and get some color on it!

Roasted Corn Fritters:

1c. Fire roasted corn on the cob (grilled on med/high heat 25 minutes) scraped from the cob (about 2 full ears)
1 Jalapeno, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, chopped
1/4c chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp Tony's Cajun seasoning
3/4tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1c. Course ground cornmeal
1/2c flour
2TBS melted butter
1 egg
1c buttermilk
3/4c Pepper Jack or Regular Jack cheese, shredded
oil for pan frying

In a bowl whisk together the cornmeal, the flour, salt, baking soda, and Cajun seasoning. In another bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of the butter, the egg, and the buttermilk, stir in the corn, onion, peppers, garlic, and Monterey Jack, and stir in the cornmeal mixture, stirring until the batter is just combined. Heat a skillet over moderately high heat with about 2" oil until it is hot. Working in batches, drop the batter by a 1/4-cup measure onto the griddle. Spread the batter slightly. Cook the cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, transferring them as they are cooked to a heatproof platter, and keep them warm.

Chile Lemon Cream Sauce:
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp lemon zest
Juice from small lemon
1 Serrano pepper, de-seeded and grated
1 green onion finely chopped
Salt/pepper to taste

Serve these fritters on a bed of Arugula or Bibb with cherry tomatoes and fresh lemon wedges for a perfect outdoor lunch, or even better, top fritters with Cajun blackened Tiger Shrimp or Lump Crab for a full meal!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when your change for corn happened.. yummmm, grilled corn!

    ReplyDelete

Only for those......